Wednesday, January 14, 2015

picture packing.

I am very lucky to have a talented husband who paints and creates beautiful art. I love that I get to have his paintings on the walls. But with moving, that means transporting these canvases and frames.

Some of my beautifully wrapped frames and canvases (just the really big ones).

That is where bubble wrap comes in. I am now a professional at bubble-wrapping and taping boxes. I was really worried about transporting these paintings this time because someone else is loading and unloading all of our boxes. I wanted everything to have some extra padding and protection to be sure that it will all be safe.
Bubble-wrap selections and acid-free tissue paper for wrapping.

I learned a few important things about packing paintings: if there is no glass covering the painting, acid-free tissue paper is a must; small bubble-wrap paper is the best; there is never too much tape.

The acid-free paper is really important because it can be wrapped right against a painting without worrying that any sort of reaction is going to happen and ruin the paint. It also protects it from anything that might scratch it.

The small bubble-wrap paper is the best because there are more bubbles so it is easier to wrap all the way around a frame or canvas. It is also a thinner layer so it won't cause too much pressure on the canvas, which could cause the canvas frame to break or buckle...and that is no good.

Tape. Tape has been my best friend recently. Especially with bubble wrapping. We bought a four-pack of clear packing tape at the store and I have probably used almost two whole rolls. I do not shy away from heavy taping. The tape is what makes it sturdy. With bubble-wrapping canvases or frames, tape is a great thing to have as your last line of protective defense.

I am ready for this move to be over already, but I am very grateful for the time I have had to be able to pack correctly and stay organized. It has really been a lot easier than it could have been so I am glad for that, but next thursday can't seem to get here fast enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment