Wednesday, October 22, 2014

jambalaya.




I don't get to cook very much with my work schedule, so when I do I like to make new recipes and try new flavors. I have had jambalaya in restaurants before and it is always amazing, but I've never tried to cook it myself. Last night I took on the task. I looked up a few recipes and combined them to accommodate what I had on hand. I amped up the cajun spice quantity because we like spicy food, but I'm sure it would be good with the normal amount too. I also learned that shrimp is traditional in jambalaya but I didn't have any and didn't want to splurge on some for this experiment. Next time though I'm definitely throwing some into the mix!

I really just like all the fresh vegetables mixed together with the spicy seasoning and the sausage. It's a really good one pot meal. And leftovers are even better.

jambalaya

2 tbsp oil
1 small onion
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 jalepeno
2 garlic cloves
2 chicken breasts (chopped)
3 sausage links (sliced into rounds) *see note below
1 can (14 oz) tomatoes (any: whole, crushed, diced)
3 cups chicken stock
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp hot sauce (any)
1 1/2 cups rice (short grain)
3 tbsp cajun seasoning (see recipe below)
chopped green onion and parsley to garnish (optional)

Chop onion, peppers, jalepeno and garlic and sauté in the oil over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent and the peppers are soft. Add the chicken and sausage, cooking until they are almost done (leave a little pink in the middle, they will continue to cook in the broth). Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, chicken stock, bay leaf, and hot sauce and set aside. (If using whole tomatoes, crush them into smaller pieces). While the meat is almost fully cooked, add the tomato mixture, rice, and cajun seasoning. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 25-30 or until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is gone. Stir occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom and burning. Once the rice is tender, stir and let the pot sit uncovered for 5-10 minutes to allow the last of the liquid to thicken. Serve warm with green onions and parsley as garnish.

cajun seasoning mix

2 tsp salt
2 tsp garlic powder
2 1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/4 tsp dried oregano
1 1/4 tsp dried thyme

Mix all spices together thoroughly and store in an air tight container or bag.


*Traditionally you would use kielbasa sausage for this but I didn't have any. I used just run of the mill sausage links with some spice and fennel flavor. It was delicious. I did have to cook the links whole and then slice them afterward, but it still worked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment