Tuesday, October 21, 2014

marriage.


I found this quote a while ago and it really stuck with me. I fell in love with my husband the moment I saw him and I realized I was in love and not just excited that this gorgeous guy liked me probably two weeks later. It is very cheesy to admit but I fall in love with him more and more every day that we spend together. It is very cool for me, since I was always the girl who never imagined getting married.

my all-time favorite picture from our wedding.
Alex's mom did all the flowers for us and created bouquets more beautiful that I even imagined.
look at this handsome guy.
But the wedding is over. The honeymoon ended a long time ago. And we are still here over a year later. That's a big feat for both of us since before each other, each of our longest relationships was three months or less! The biggest thing that I have learned about being married is that marriage is hard.

There is nothing else to say. Responsibility was thrown on our shoulders the minute we said I do and it has stayed there and will continue to stay there for the rest of our lives. And it's hard! We took on each others passions and hobbies. Debts and money skills. Talents and faults. Strengths and weaknesses. I couldn't say "oh you like sleeping with a fan on? I'm not okay with that so you will need to stop." He couldn't say "oh you're a backseat driver (to the extreme)? I'm not okay with that so you will need to keep your mouth shut and your pointer finger in check." (Even though he has said that to me a million times…I just can't stop). We had to accept these things about each other and learn to live with them.

Something I have discovered though is that we are most successful in our marriage when we use our own strengths and talents to make up for the other persons weaknesses. Even in the small things I find we are so successful and happy. Alex is not a very good cook. He lacks confidence in himself and understanding of how to cook so he can really only make a few things. He makes a mean quesadilla and can find his way around a burrito when he needs to, but that's about it. I happen to love cooking and trying new recipes so I do most of the cooking. Alex helps me all the time and is wonderful at lending a hand when I need something in the kitchen but for the most part I make the meals. I am a terrible driver. I mean I am an awesome driver, but no one else seems to really think that, so Alex usually drives. This is best because neither of us are very good at directions but I can usually read maps better. It's all about compensating for each others lacks with our own talents. I am really good at washing clothes (most of the time!!) but really bad about putting them away, so Alex usually picks up my slack and handles it. Alex is a bit forgetful when it comes to putting things away (keys, wallets, dirty socks, etc.) and I am usually pretty good about following behind him and picking things up (maybe that's why I excel at target so much!).

But it's hard. Everyday presents a new challenge for us to overcome. Paying bills. Cleaning the house. Buying groceries. Planning for holidays. Finding a new apartment. All of these things we do together to manage our life and keep on moving into the future. It definitely hasn't been easy to get through sometimes, but there is no one I'd rather struggle next to than my guy.


No comments:

Post a Comment