Thursday, October 16, 2014

texas.



We had the opportunity to go to Texas last weekend to visit my husband's grandmother. Neither of us had ever been to Texas so it was nice to be able to experience it all together. We were in the very small town (population 3,338) of Winnsboro. 
A few things I noticed:
≈ The sky is bigger in Texas. I do not know why exactly, but it is. I think it was especially noticeable 
    because of the small town we were in. No big buildings, no towering skyscrapers, no mountains 
    blocking the horizon. It was really crazy to see so much sky and so many clouds unencumbered by 
    buildings and towers. 
≈ With the sky being bigger, the sun was also brighter. So much California smog and pollution has 
    clouded my view of the sun apparently. Texas has shown me exactly how bright the sun is and how 
    much I appreciate my prescription sunglasses. Such a lifesaver. 
≈ Apparently the saying "Everything's bigger in Texas" is just plain true.
≈ Everything is deep fried. Fish, okra, zucchini, chicken, steak, shrimp, frog legs, onions, potatoes, 
   PIE. It was the pie that threw me off. I saw it on every menu we looked at and I never had the 
   courage to ask what that meant. I think I was afraid they would make me try it and I would like it. 
   Oh, Paula. 
≈ Some of Texas is green! It's not all tumble weeds and dry air. We were seriously misinformed and 
   shocked at all the green trees and grass.
≈ People can be really friendly. Everyone we met was so welcoming and curious about who we were. 
   It was nice to feel listened to and welcomed in every situation. I liked the southern hospitality.
≈ The weather is wonderful. Storms and lightning. Sunshine and sweat. Clouds for days. I liked that.

It was a good trip. Fun to see family and meet some family for me and fun to experience a new state. This little trip did spark the travel bug for us. If only our little dog bug could always come with us.



No comments:

Post a Comment