Monday, October 27, 2014

cupcakes.

A few summers ago I worked in a bakery baking cupcakes. I only worked there two or three days a week but in eight months I had really perfected the art of cupcakes. They are one of my favorite treats to bake because they are so easy and versatile. We made a lot of varieties in the shop: chocolate, vanilla, peanut butter, lemon, raspberry, limeade, pink champagne, s'more, red velvet, sprinkles, and so many more. All were delicious. 

After a month or so of baking a few days a week, I was trained how to frost and decorate them. This was the most fun part for me. I loved piping the frosting on and seeing them come together completely. 
Starting in the back we have: chocolate fudge sundae, coconut, lemon, red velvet, chocolate, peanut butter, pink champagne, salted caramel, hot chocolate, and cookies n' cream. 

So I've become a professional cupcake baker. I'm not much for the perfectly homemade baked goods so I make altered boxed cupcakes. They are delicious and no one knows it's from a box.

cupcakes
*This recipe is more a method than a strict recipe. You can change the flavor by simply using a different boxed cake mix.

1 boxed cake mix
1 small box instant pudding (in complementary flavor)
1 1/2 cups lemon-lime soda
1/3 cup oil
4 eggs

Add the liquid ingredients to a stand mixer first. Pour the cake and pudding mixes on top. Start with mixed on low and stir until the dry ingredients are wet. Switch mixer to medium and stir until thick and well combined. 

The batter is super thick at this point so scooping it into lined cupcake tins is the best option. I use a round ice cream scoop. It helps keep the cupcakes uniform size as well. 

Bake the cupcakes at 325 for 15-20 minutes. The cakes should be dry on top and firm to the touch. You can use a toothpick to test if you wish. Let them cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack until completely cool before frosting.

*I usually bake the cupcakes and make the frosting the day before I want to serve them. Store the cupcakes in an airtight container or tightly covered in plastic wrap. Then I let the frosting sit out for a few hours to soften before piping. 

frosting
*I don't have any super special buttercream recipe. I usually use the recipe on the powdered sugar box. It's perfect for these cupcakes because it's not to sweet and it stands up to the rich flavor of the cakes.

1 stick softened butter
1 box powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup milk

(Add 1/3 cup cocoa powder for chocolate frosting)

Beat the butter in the mixer until light and fluffy. Add half the powdered sugar and all the vanilla and beat slowly until the sugar is combined. Add the rest of the sugar and half the milk, beating slowly to combine. Add more milk if needed to bring the frosting together. Taste and add more milk or powdered sugar if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment